Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The war of Zion

It's not really a secret but if you weren't aware already, I'm one of the outlaw preachers. What is an outlaw preacher? Pastor Nar explained it to me something like this; a group of people, not necessarily preachers, who believe in the sufficiency of the love and grace of God. In one of my attempts to make a twitter friendly definition I put it this way. "There are those who would shun anyone who claims that Jesus loves EVERYONE no matter what. We are the shunned #outlawpreachers" Another part of the outlaw preachers that has stood out to me is that we don't all agree with each other, on a lot of things. We argue, debate, discuss, but at the end of the day we still love each other. Like a big twitter-related family.


A few weeks ago the waters were stirred by an individual wishing to join the Outlaw Preachers. Ok, so stirred is an understatement. The waters were smacked violently such as a toddler trying to escape a bathtub.
It began innocently enough. He came in claiming to look for community, and slowly it started. First an outburst at one person, then a claim (and seemingly his big point) that the outlaw preachers only accept those they agree with. Now it's escalated to a relentless barrage of insults, and "calls to repentance"
The responses have been all over the map. Some have just silently backed away, blocked him, and just ignored him. Some attempt to reason with him, others threw insults back at him. Some tried to show him love and embrace him regardless. No matter what the response the end outcome continually seems the same, more insults, more "calls to repentance"

Even my own reactions have varied across the map, I tried the reasoning, I tried returning the insults, I tried ignoring, and then went to blocking and keeping silent for the most part. Typically I'm all for stirring the pot. Without stirring the pot stagnation sets in. True growth doesn't come without adversity. But to simply call this adversity would be like calling a tank, a go-kart. Even still a big part of me embraces this situation.
Through all this I know I will come out a more patient person. Patience is like a muscle, you push it to it's limit, rest, and the next time that limit takes a little bit longer to get to.

I've also received a new appreciation for some of the Outlaws. MojoJules in particular, who decided to converse with the individual about homosexuality. That conversation completely changed my outlook on her, and I have a new respect and appreciation for the way she handled the conversation.


This whole situation makes me think of a couple things.
1.) How much truth is in his words? I'm not asking if he's right, but is there ANY truth. I feel that when someone throws these types of accusations the first response should be to examine ourselves. We become blind to our own flaws at times. Covering them up with excuses, good reasons, just causes, and at times even scripture. I find myself in this type of position at times, and it bothers me. [Example: when Rick Warren was saying nothing about the Uganda bill many reacted including myself. When I saw his first response, that he didn't have to let media and bloggers know what he was doing, I began hurling insults along with many others. I felt completely justified in it, until I hung out with my friend Sam. Sam asked " So since Rick Warren's not speaking out to love gays in Uganda, you just insult him? And then expect that to make him want to speak out?" Sam's words cut me in a way only a close friend can, and should. After that my thought became, maybe insulting RW isn't any more the way of Jesus than I felt his reaction to the Uganda bill was.] If I refuse to step back and look at myself I'm only acting out of pride. So then the question must be asked (and some are asking it)
2.) Are the outlaw preachers really intolerant of those they don't agree with? This is hard to really answer because we're all individuals and react differently to things. I have seen some intolerance. I've also seen what would look like intolerance to someone who wasn't around the OP long enough.
I know myself as well as others have tried to explain that not all the Outlaw Preachers agree with each other, and we've had no problem fitting in. Though to be fair I haven't spoken up about all of the things I disagree with. Mainly because I'm not passionate about them. Things like homosexuality. Personally I feel it is a sin. I don't however feel that it will make you burn in hell any more than my own sins will make me burn in hell. I don't feel that God loves homosexuals any less than he loves straight people. I never bother to speak up about it because I don't feel purpose in it, and the only reason I am now is to drive a point. If after this post I become rejected by the outlaw preachers, or get a barrage of e-mails, tweets or comments lashing out at me, or telling me how wrong I am... Then Zion is right.

And if you're reading this Zionfreak, please know I love you. I'm sorry for insults I've thrown at you. They weren't productive, nor in love. In the same though, I have blocked you on twitter because my patience only goes so far and for now it is resting. Also I can only handle so many tweet in a day and you tweet A LOT :-)
Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. Yo, I'm CSamurai on twitter.

    You've prepared yourself for a barrage of comments, then here's the first one.

    First, you've talked about the fact that not all of the Outlaw Preachers agree with each other on Theology and the teachings of Christ. But that is precisely the reason why it is the community to be for Christian growth. God made all of us in His image and Christ died for our sins and gifts. That constant dialogue and point of view offering between us is what we need for a bigger picture of Christ and deeper spiritual connection with Him.

    I will go ahead and say homosexuality is not a sin. And in considering it a sin, it is so low in the totem pole of things to address in the Christian ideal that it boggles me as to why it is a major issue like it is now. Christ loved corrupt economical figures, prostitutes, the lowest of the low, whatever. Trust me, any given homosexual is in His heart as much as the next person.

    I know what you mean. I am of the hurling-insults-back-type. I'm pretty much used to being criticized for my thoughts by people who have not bother to look at what's wrong with themselves. But you are absolutely right, I need to stop and look at myself and ask "How would Christ react in this situation?" And I should do that in every decision. I need the heart and mind of Christ more.

    I only know MoJoJules through the tweets she's sent, but I can only hope to get to know her and the rest of that community more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome post, bro.

    Reading a good book about this called "Mistakes were made but not by me" which talks about how everyone continuously rationalizes their own behaviour according to how they see themselves.

    But it doesn't help to be aware of it :) Except maybe after you step back you realize "Man, I was a complete ass just then."

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent and appropriate.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for Tipped It