Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Why I Debate

   It's not really a secret that I believe in the Bible. Apparently I have a "liberal" view of the Bible. I didn't try to obtain this view, and I don't maintain it for the sake of a label. To clarify, I say I have a liberal view of the Bible because I don't believe the entire Bible is to be taken literally; That some books (Job for example) are actually written out parables, and not historical documentaries. This is a bit different from traditional understandings apparently.This isn't to say God couldn't do the things written, like Jonah living 3 days in a big sea creature, but rather that fussing over whether or not it actually happened is missing the point of the story.
   I came to this view point gradually through studying. In my attempt to better know God I consequently learn more about the Bible. Which makes sense being that the Bible is the only official text we have to learn about God from. Through studying the Bible I've learned many things, including that a lot of people like to take scriptures out of context (whole other story). Through the process of learning I've become a bit opinionated on biblical topics. It's pretty unavoidable to anyone who studies anything. When you know a lot about a subject you develop a lot of opinions on said subject and are pretty certain that your opinions are right.
Since I apparently have a liberal view of the Bible, and a good majority of Christians I know have a conservative view of the Bible, I find that I end up disagreeing with a lot of Christians. Maybe it's the italian in me, or maybe that it's that I'm 26, or maybe it's just that I'm a jerk, but when i disagree with people I tend to want to discuss the disagreeance. Some people take that as, I'm looking to argue.
   This is why I'm writing this post. I want to clarify things a bit. A lot of Christians enjoy posting their views about God online, so since many Christians have a conservative approach to the Bible, and they like to publically voice their Bible thoughts online, and I have a liberal approach to the Bible, and I like to discuss(or debate), and facebook has a comment feature.... bad things can happen lol. I don't mean to start fights, and I don't mean to come off as "you're wrong and I'm right"(even though it's true :-P). I believe that through openly discussing our opposing views of the Bible, and actually listening to the other person, we have an oppertunity to obtain a fuller understanding God. There's a reason Jesus picked 12 guys who wouldn't necessarily get along. If we only listen to people we agree with I find that we end up putting God in a box of our own understanding and refuse to accept parts of God we don't agree with. However when we open ourselves to things that are difficult to us, that we don't like, that don't fit in our neat little box, that don't seem to make sense, then we begin to truely understand that God is far beyond our comprehension. If God were truely within our comprehension then He wouldn't be much of a God. How many "omni" words can a being be if it can be fully grasped by a being that only lives for 100 years?
So all of that to say, if I openly contradict you on something, please don't take offense, I'm only looking to engage in conversation, and hope that the both of us can gain a deeper understanding of God.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Tipped It