Saturday, April 10, 2010

Infallible

A friend of mine has been bringing about the topic of the bible being infallible. He believes that it's not, and many cry heresy. To which he responds by showing them that they really don't believe that the Bible is infallible by playing on the part of the Bible that they don't agree with. It's pretty humorous to hear his stories about people's logic spinning in circles as their theological concepts crumble from beneath them. Because let's face it a fair amount of people in churches that attempt to call out heretics don't have a theological foundation that they've built themselves, they simply stand on things they heard from someone else, and just assumed that person they were listening to did their home work.

Now before I get hordes of people making assumptions about me, let me say that my friends position is not my own. I respect his opinions, but I have my own theories. I believe that the original words written in the books contained in the Bible were divinely inspired by God, and are infallible. Now that infallibility is only present within those original words within the time period and culture that they were written. Please note I'm NOT saying that the Bible is no longer applicable, and I'm not saying it's not infallible, but I am saying that WE are fallible. We are the ones reading these words and attempting to apply words written thousand of years ago to life in the 21st century. In the process far too many forget or ignore the fact that we do not live in the culture that the books were written, and are ignorant to many things present in those time periods that brought a new level of depth to those words.

The original authors of the books in the Bible had agendas for their writings. They also made reference to aspects of the culture in which they lived. If one ignores these things the probability that they will take the writings out of context sky rockets. Because of these things I've taken a less firm stance on so many things. I realize that there's so little that I know. As I search for answers I find that there's more and more that I still have yet to learn. And to act as though I have solid answers for many of my opinions would be reckless. I have my opinions, but most I haven't carved into stone. I've more drawn them on a dry erase board.

I believe scripture is infallible, but we are not.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Tipped It