Saturday, April 10, 2010

Maturity

Has any any else noticed people who consistently accuse other of being immature, seem to be rather immature themselves? Maybe it's just me. Either way it made me start wondering, what does it REALLY mean to be mature? Dictionary.com defines mature like this; complete in natural growth or development - fully developed in body or mind - pertaining to or characteristic of full development - completed, perfected. With a definition like that I would venture to say none of us are mature. I don't know about anyone else, but I enjoy the process of growth, so I suppose in a sense you could say I enjoy being immature. It seems like the older, and the more I learn the more I realize that I know less than I thought, and have further to go than I imagined. But what fun would life be to skip the journey and jump to the end.

Years ago my friend Brad and I became obsessed with th game Marrowind on his PC. The game also had a construction set with it that enabled you to manipulate any part of the game. So naturally we created items that would make us more powerful than we would ever get on our own. The effect? We would get bored after 15 minutes. There was no challenge. The game became pointless.

I'm not satisfied with where I am in my life, so I continually push forward, pursuing maturity, and for the moment happily not reaching it. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey. Sure the journey has parts that are quite unenjoyable, but those bad parts make the pleasant parts that much more appreciated.
Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for Tipped It